Student Council Meeting #5

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

The mission of Conrad Grebel University College’s Student Council is to nurture a relationship-based community through fostering understanding, encouraging growth, and embracing diversity.

Reflection for the week: This is where the term tumbles to the end, do not get caught with unachieved goals.

In Attendance

StuCo: Madeleine Neufeld, Peter Missiuna, Hanne Kuhnert, Nick Decker, Jeremy Metzger, Jackson Brown, Erik Mohr, Mary McPhee, Angela Krone, Hannah Hill

Guests: Mary BZ

Beginning: 22:00

End: 22:43

Discussion

Approve Minutes from last week

  • #approved

Mental health initiative, productiviTEA party ($30 funding request)

  • #approved

WaterBoys

  • They can do the 3rd or 5th, but the 5th doesn’t work for us

  • Unfortunately, the 3rd doesn’t work for any of us

  • We will send them to the main office, but let them know that StuCo is unavailable to help this term

Inter-college discussion

  • People would like to bring inter college council back

  • Peter wants to do it if he gets paid for it

    • People used to get paid $500 a term, according to Andrew Cullar

  • Hanne would be willing to do it for free

  • Benefits:

    • Grebel can have the benefit because we have upper years, if we can get us on board the other colleges will get on board

    • Scenarios where we could join sports teams together

  • This wouldn’t start until next term, or maybe September

  • Past years showed a bunch of Grebel support, but hard to get people involved from other colleges

  • Potentially take advantage of St Pauls Greenhouse

  • Hanne has many ideas of what this could look like

    • Shared toast nights

    • Sports things

    • Events and activities

  • Suggestion to talk to dons for next year

Mix-it-up commie sup

  • How do we want to mix-it-up next week?

  • Skittles and colored tables?

    • Starbursts because wrapped?

  • Want to have 3-4 tables per color for ease of finding spots

  • $15 for Maddy to do this? “We can take it out of newspapers!”

  • Make sure we save a table at the front for the speaker table

Newspaper updates

Newspapers have been cancelled that we pay for - still some paid for by Grebel but we have saved much money by doing this!!

Building project fundraising event

  • Maddy has been chatting with Fred about the idea of doing a fundraiser event

  • Two paths that we’re thinking of taking

    • A large fundraising event that’s run BY students FOR the community

    • Student-based fundraiser/auction/etc

  • This is instead of raising the building fund fee via referendum

  • A fun way to get students involved

  • Aiming for March 21st

  • Hannah taking point on the event, Angela willing to help if needed

SLEF Funding - Due March 17th -- getting input

  • Angela put together a little quiz for people to fill out

  • 4 categories based on SLEF funding

  • Filled with a couple ideas to get people started thinking

Next LLT meeting

  • Was scheduled for March 6 but because of snow day this leaves it close to the last one

  • We decided to keep it as-is, so as to avoid crunch time

Stuco Wear

  • Come next week with your passion to share with the crew

  • Bring ONE item that you are excited about

EOT reports

  • Reading week has now happened, so the rest of the term is “a tumble down the hill”

  • This is insanity

  • Maddy is planting this seed: EOT reports are due at the end of classes

  • This means BY APRIL 5

Upcoming events

Decisions

  • Approval of the minutes

    • Motioned by Peter

    • Seconded by Jeremy

    • Approved by All!

  • Approval of $15 for mix-it-up

    • Motioned by Maddy

    • Seconded by Hanne

    • Approved by ALL!

  • Approval of $30 to mental health initiative

    • Motioned by Peter

    • Seconded by Erik

    • Approved by ALL!

Other notes:

  • “WE NEED TO GET KYLE HERE” ptitm by Hannah

Source: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Rum5nZ...